1) Put your iTunes on shuffle. Give me the first 6 songs that pop up.
1. Springtime for Hitler (The Producers)
2. La fille aux cheveux de lin (Claude Debussy)
3. King and Lionheart (Of Monsters and Men)
4. Adagio from Concerto Grosso in g minor (Corelli)
5. Near to You (A Fine Frenzy)
6. Video Games (Lana Del Rey – You win, Kelby)
2) If you could meet anyone on this earth, who would it be?
Who is alive at the moment? Maybe Cecilia Bartoli. Or Sir Neville Mariner. Or Robert Levin. Or Meryl Streep. Or Oprah. Or Beyonce.
3) Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 23, give me line 17.
“It was not so much the absence of a priesthood as the existence of the scientific schools that saved Greece.” (Bertrand Russell: The History of Western Philosophy)
4) What do you think about most?
5) Ever had a poem or song written about you?
Oh yes. Both, and plenty, in fact.
6) Do you have any strange phobias?
I am relatively afraid of heights. Also, spiders. I am quite afraid of spiders. That’s pretty much it.
7) What’s your religion?
Love & Questioning.
8) If you are outside, what are you most likely doing?
9) Simple but extremely complex. Favorite band?
My favorite band is the Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields- the orchestra directed by Sir Neville Mariner and which produces excellent Mozart recordings.
10) What was the last lie you told?
I’m not sure about an actual lie, but I feel as though reserving my emotions is kind of like lying. I’ll try to do that less.
11) Do you believe in karma?
I joke about it, but I don’t think it can be real, honestly.
12) What does your URL mean?
My URL is a combination of two interesting things- both somewhat representative of me. “Syne” represents “synesthesia,” the neurological condition by which I see sound in colour. “Symposium” references Plato’s dialogue of the same title, which remains my favorite to this day.
13) What is your greatest weakness; your greatest strength?
Weakness: Overthinking. Strength: Compassion.
14) Who is your celebrity crush?
Heehee. There are too many, unfortunately. Zac Efron gets my fire going, but I would also pay to be Bradley James’ Merlin. And Andrew Garfield. UNF.
15) How do you vent your anger?
Probably not as well as I could. I definitely try to remove myself from people for a little bit, and it usually just goes away. But not always (i.e. grudges- of which I try not to hold many). Honestly, I have learned more ways to avoid getting angry in my life than ways to cope with anger.
16) Do you have a collection of anything?
Scores by Mozart! I have a vocal score of Don Giovanni that is pretty old, and like, six copies of the requiem. It is not a particularly valuable collection at the moment, though it is larger than most other student collections. I am just happy to gather them because when I have a copy of all of his music, I will possess the totality of music of the highest quality.
17) Are you happy with the person you’ve become?
Relatively, yes. I would like to be more punctual.
18) What’s a sound you hate; sound you love?
Good questions. I HATE SIRENS. Every time a damn ambulance comes down 12th Avenue, I have to plug my ears and stop where I am because I CAN’T SEE. I love the sound of the clarinet. And Cecilia Bartoli’s voice.
19) What’s your biggest “what if”?
“What if” I had stayed?
20) Do you believe in ghosts? How about aliens?
They are both plausible. Perhaps aliens more so than ghosts. I would say, for now, that I believe in both.
21) Stick your right arm out; what do you touch first? Do the same with your left arm.
22) Smell the air. What do you smell?
The toast I am making. I eat too much toast.
23) What’s the worst place you have ever been to?
Socioeconomically: MLK Jr. Boulevard in Seattle. Socially: a party once.
24) Most attractive singer/s of your/opposite gender?
Conor Oberst was pretty smokin’ in the day. The A Fine Frenzy woman is very pretty.
25) To you, what is the meaning of life?
Love. Love. Love.
26) Do you drive? If so, have you ever crashed?
I do drive, but I have never crashed my car. I have almost drifted off a cliff, I have backed into a large rock (I don’t consider that crashing), and I just recently blew my first stop light. That was one of the scariest things I’ve ever experienced.
27) What was the last movie you saw?
It was either the Beyonce documentary or Amadeus.
28) What’s the worst injury you’ve ever had?
Someone gave me bruises on my sides once. And only once.
29) Do you have any obsessions right now?
Mozart. Always. Also, boys? Or, “boy”. But it’s not an obsession in the creepy way. I hope?
30) Ever had a rumor spread about you?
Probably. I have been very lucky not to have undergone much of this in my life. But I’m sure it’s happened.
31) Do you tend to hold grudges against people who have done you wrong?
Honestly: yes. I do not usually let them show, but things do make an impression on me, and I don’t easily forget them. They do not, however, control my actions toward the person.
32) What is your astrological sign?
Taurus, which I think is perfectly appropriate.
33) What’s the last thing you purchased?
With real money? A Croque Madame at Café Presse with Shane!
34) Love or lust?
We are all aware that true love contains the right amount of lust.
35) In a relationship right now?
36) How many relationships have you had?
Three, I suppose.
37) What is your secret weapon to get someone to like you?
Be yourself. You will not have to “get” me to like you.
38) Where is your best friend?
In my heart.
39) What were you doing last night at 12 AM?
Oh gosh. I think I was actually asleep? I was so tired.
40) Are you the kind of friend you would want to have as a friend?
I hope so. Sometimes I think I’m a little too demanding of a friend for me to be compatible with myself. That is probably the case.
41) You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do?
Of course I save the dog. Screw work.
42) You are at the doctor’s office and she has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. a) Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? b) What do you do with your remaining days? c) Would you be afraid?
a) I am not sure about this. I am leaning toward no. It would be respectful to tell everyone, and give them proper closure in saying goodbye, etc. But I kind of just want to observe the normal world until the end. b) I want to visit Mozart’s house and spend a little time in Salzburg and Vienna. I would like to visit Athens and Paris. I want to make sure everyone knows how much I love them. I want to travel, but ultimately come home to the sea.
43) What’s a song that always makes you happy when you hear it?
There are many, but here are three:
1. “Comfort ye, My People” and “Every Valley Shall Be Exalted” from Handel’s Messiah
2. The second movement of Mozart’s 20th Piano Concerto
3. The second movement of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto
44) In your opinion, what makes a great relationship?
Blowing on a spark just enough to cause ignition, but not extinguish by force.
45) How can I win your heart?
By letting me give it to you freely.
46) Can insanity bring on more creativity?
It always does.
47) What is the single best decision you have made in your life so far?
48) What would you want to be written on your tombstone?
I don’t yet know, but something along the lines of what Keats picked for his:
“Here lies one whose name was writ in water.”
49) Give me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “heart.”
Merlin. Don’t get me started.
50) Basic question; what’s your favorite color/colors?
Orange, I think, is my favorite colour.
51) What is your current desktop picture?
A marvelous ocean sunset.
52) If you could press a button and make anyone in the world instantaneously explode, who would it be?
Uh. No one?
53) What would be a question you’d be afraid to tell the truth on?
“What is wrong with you?” (though not so much, any more)
54) You accidentally eat some radioactive vegetables. They were good, and what’s even cooler is that they endow you with the super-power of your choice! What is that power?
I want to be able to give people that fuzzy feeling inside.
55) You can re-live any point of time in your life. The time-span can only be a half-hour, though. What half-hour of your past would you like to experience again?
That time in the parking lot.
56) You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?
I am grateful to all of my experiences.
57) You have the opportunity to sleep with the music-celebrity of your choice. Who would it be?
Oh, I don’t know. I don’t know that I have someone in mind.
58) You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere. You have to depart right now. Where are you gonna go?
Vienna. City of musicians.
59) Ever been on a plane?
Quite a few. I was on two of them for 14 hours each and by hour 7 I swear I just wanted to jump out the window. Screw you, Atlantic Ocean.
60) Give me your top 5 hottest celebrities.
I will not end this questionnaire with this question.